01 April, 2020
Online Training: Top 10 Best Practices for Today's Homebuilder
Access this and other free on-demand courses on the BetterBuiltNW online training portal by logging into your existing account or creating a new account below:
Note: There are state-specific versions of this training available for NW audiences.
Join BetterBuiltNW for this no-cost 3-hour online training and learn the latest and greatest techniques being used today to build energy efficient homes.
Gain practical insights from the job site that every builder must know to keep pace with building code changes and ahead of homebuyer expectations.
This training breaks down 10 building approaches into a spectrum of "Good, Better & Best" practices for quality home construction. The info presented is customized for each state in the Northwest and will help you increase the energy efficiency, comfort and durability of the homes you’re building.
- Poor performing home scenarios
- Housing market trends & code trajectory
- Third party verification benefits
- Building science basics
- Top 10 approaches to high performance homes: Design, Super Air Sealing, High-R Walls, High-R Ceilings, Windows, Ducts & Distribution, Fresh Air Ventilation, Appliances & Lighting, Mechanical Systems, Solar PV
- Local raters & utility/certification programs
Oregon & Washington versions of this training also present updated code information and clearly identify areas where the code aligns with the Good, Better or Best spectrum.
Preview the list of Top 10 Good, Better, Best approaches and watch sample training videos on Fresh Air Ventilation and Superior Air Sealing below:
Attendees will learn about:
- Common barriers to energy-efficient home construction
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- Ways to improve envelope design & performance
- Advanced mechanical systems, lighting, & appliances
- Home certification programs & energy-efficiency utility incentives
This 3-hour, self-paced online training format consists of a series of 3-5 minute videos divided into sections. Users can start or stop their viewing at their own pace and easily resume the course at another time. Short quiz questions and activities will help you incorporate content covered in the videos.
- AIA: 3 LU/HSW
- OR CCB: 3 CEs
- BPI: 1.5 units
- ICC: 0.3 CEs
No cost (Regularly $75)
This training is brought to you by BetterBuiltNW
Building industry professionals (builders, raters/verifiers, architects, subcontractors, utility representatives, and code officials)
INSTRUCTOR: John Spillman
John is a Trainer and Senior Technical Consultant with Earth Advantage. He teaches classes to Energy Auditors, Builders, Architects/Designers, Real Estate Professionals and Building Code officials. John has been promoting sustainable building and energy efficiency in both new and existing residential construction with Earth Advantage since 2009. John’s construction background is in residential remodeling. He is a LEED for Homes Quality Assurance Designee and Green Rater. John earned a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from University of California, Davis.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org